Five Easy Star Hunting Steps
- Use the Globe at Night website to help find your constellation in the night sky.
- Use the Globe at Night website to find the latitude and longitude of the location where you are making your observation.
- Go outside more than an hour after sunset (8-10 pm local time). The Moon should not be up. Let your eyes become used to the dark for 10 minutes before your first observation.
- Match your observation to one of 7 magnitude charts and note the amount of cloud cover.
- Report the date, time, location (latitude/longitude), the chart you chose, and the amount of cloud cover at the time of observation. Make more observations from other locations, if possible. Compare your observation to thousands around the world!:
Globe at Night 2017 Dates and Constellations
January 19-28, February 18-27, 2017
March 20-29, April 18-27, May 17-26, 2017
June 16-25, July 15-24, August 14-23, 2017
September 12-21, October 11-20, 2017
November 10-19, December 9-18, 2017